Sunday, July 26, 2009

Southern Hospitality

Friday July 24, 2009

Now we are on our way into the deep south. Although it is geographically above Florida and Georgia, Spartanburg South Carolina is deep south. We are going to see Mary-Jeanine's sister Naomi and her family. Our GPS navigation system announces our arrival with a well intentioned, but humorously pronunciation... "Now arriving at Nay-Oh-My". We drop off the trailer and caravan up to a lake an hour away near Saluda North Carolina. We are going to a lake house that belongs to the Montgomery's. The Montgomery's are the former owners of the mill where Naomi's husband Deas' father used to work. Naomi and Deas used to babysit for their kids way back when, and are still close.

The estate is clearly "Old Money". Nice, but understated. Just a pleasant place to be owned by people who want to enjoy the comforts of their position, but don't need to prove anything. We spend all of our time in the lake house. It is a two story boat house. Boats below, and a covered deck on top. Besides having a great view of the lake, the main attraction is the opening in the deck railing where we can jump off into the lake.

I approach cautiously and peer over the edge. It is low enough that jumping into the deep green water is inviting, but high enough to want someone else to do it first. By the time I've worked up the energy to carefully plan out my first jump Alex and his cousin Paul have jumped off and run back around 28 times.


After a few false starts, I make my leap. It is high enough that you have time to contemplate what you've done. Why? Why did I leave the comfort of that nice sunny deck? Because you are a guy, and not jumping is just not an option. What am I doing? Keeping my legs together. Why? Because I am a guy, and landing legs splayed is just not an option! Splash! That was fun. Hey, this water is cold. Better get out of the way, Alex is probably in the air by now.

Mary-Jeanine, Naomi, and even Julia made the plunge. Not so much for the fun of it, but because of the confirmation that they can conquer their fears and try out new experiences. Besides, anything a boy can do, they can do while holding their noses.
Naomi Jumps

Mary-Jeanine jumps

Julia jumps

3 comments:

  1. Let us know if you make it up to Memphis ok?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm so glad you're back on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As usual your writing is fantastic, MJ and Stefan! The photo Stefan took of me from the kyack is so good that I can actually see Paul commenting on my scream as I take the step into space Great photo! One correction...we spent time in the 'boat house' NOT the lake house. The lake house was up the gravel driveway. It was so much more fun with y'all there. Thanks for making the stop in Spartanburg. Hope the rest of the trip is just as fun. LOVE the blog name.

    ReplyDelete